I love made from scratch cakes but sometimes you do not have the time or all the ingredients on hand. For me cooking a cake is a last minute decision with no time to run to the store. A box cake mix is good in a pinch but lacks that homemade bakery fresh taste. You can always taste a box cake mix a mile away. Here is how you can change that boring cake into something a little more special.
Here a few suggestions to improve a box cake mix.
Make it Rich
- Add one or two more eggs than the recipe calls for. This will add richness.
- Used melted unsalted butter instead of oil and double the amount
- Add a tablespoon of mayo.
- Use Whole Milk, Coconut water or Almond Milk instead of water
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Lemon zest in a white cake mix and orange zest in a chocolate or spice cake mix.
- For Chocolate cake add a pinch of coffee and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Depending on your cake mix flavor add a 1/2 teaspoon Raspberry liquor or almond extract
- Before baking sprinkle a teaspoon of cane sugar over the top of each layer.
Not in the mood for cake but have plenty of time? Try this New York Cheese Cake Recipe
This post contains affiliate links.